Friday, November 18, 2016

Populating the Repository

Also posting an update for Homework 7 since it didn't have any actionable items to post on here (like a link or a screenshot), but I have been adding objects and to the git repository. Here's the summary of what I have done so far in ADDITION to optimizing the story and the direction that we are taking with the game to make sure it is feasible. That is my job within our team dynamic and I'm also responsible for working on the complexity of the levels (design of the maze and it's look and feel).

1) All my edited Music
2) Uploaded a pack of 20+ textures for everyone to use in the design of their levels
2) Beginning of a walled structure
3) 3 tiered maze
4) 3 split tiered maze
5) Currently working on adding textures to the hallways and building the pyramid.


Inspiration:




The game's objective is to get obtain a coveted object and have the user escape the Pyramid unharmed by the Jackals that guard the Pharaoh's tomb. The design of the game above has an Indiana Jones feel as the character explores an ancient environment. The design on the walls draws on historical fact of various frescoes being found inside the pyramids as decorations. I compiled a packet of similar imagery as decoration for the walls varying from symbols to patters. The collection is diverse enough to make each hallway look unique.

I have not played many games in my life, in fact the only one I have ever played was Wii sports. The challenges are very straight forward and allow you to train yourself to pass levels with a higher amount of points than before. I really like the idea of training so I designed the level with the idea that you will not always make the right turn and will end up losing your life from encountering the Jackals. The game is also reminiscent of another game I've played - PacMan - where you have to escape the maze with predators who are chasing you. The encounter with them will take away one of your lives and if you have to pass the level by avoiding them and collecting all the points.

So considering that these are the only game experiences I've had this is how I decided to design our game. I also love the idea of puzzles and mazes and the movie "Maze Runner" had the same objective of running through the maze and escaping the predators that are after the player. The main character had to venture out into the maze and come back to his safe zone with more intel on how to complete it. I used the same principle of needing to play the game a few times to memorize the actual pattern of the hallways, where the predators are and where is the escape.

The hallway design is pretty challenging so I decided to make the maze tiered so that it is easier to complete each level and not make the player frustrated. (Constantly dying and not being able to win for a long time can lessen the enjoyment of the game). But having the right amount of challenge and an opportunity to have little victories along the way puts just the right amount of pressure, making the game exciting rather than "too complicated".


Here's the design of the Maze Runner game:



My Level Design:

I had to get instruction from the professor because online tutorials do not go over basic tools and just throw you in head first in the complex editing of games. I did find a good example of a flat maze build and followed Mr. Erlebacher's tips on how to turn a flat plane into an elevated maze. Using the textures from the packet I put together I will splash the walls with the design. This is the labyrinth design that I'm following.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment