Friday, November 18, 2016

Blender to Unreal to Git (H8 follow up)

As discussed in homework 7, creating objects in Blender was incredibly difficult; I couldn't find tutorials that were simple enough to start at the beginning explain how to work in different modes (Object vs Edit) what tools and keys to press to perform functions (as simple as move, select or delete). And after being frustrated and set back by the complexity of the editing tools and lack of simple directions to help me get over the first stages set me back.

I continued working on the audio files (the soundtrack for different moods, cues, and stages of the game and updated that in the git repository). I also have met with the team to adjust our story once again and the objects that we were going to create and make considering our time frame and making a game that is still playable and enjoyable.

The decision that we came to was to use the labyrinth that I designed as the main level (instead of having challenges along the way). That would require us to design several different objectives and program the mechanics of the challenges that we simply don't have the time and expertise to do. The labyrinth however offered a playable challenger and would deliver a complete game (rather than a game that 's too complex and not playable).

1) After meeting with Mr. Erlebacher and following his instructions on how to design my level I created this in blender:



2) Then I imported it into Unreal 



The use of the object was described in post 7 but I'll give another short description. 

I drew on my personal experiences as a player in the few games that I've interacted with (Wii Sports and PacMan) as well as an inspiration from a movies (The Maze Runner and Indiana Jones) to build a game with similar objectives. Instead of having multiple challenges with the pyramid for the player to solve I thought that escaping the labyrinth in itself would be an interesting challenge. The same way the player has to train themselves to get better at playing the game (ex: wakeboarding) and get more points the player of the Pyramid Scheme will have to go through the maze a few times and start to memorize the way it's build. Though this is not ideal way to design a game that is playable after it's complete (since you would already know how to win and it wouldn't be a challenge) it will be fun and challenging enough to play for the objective of this class. 

The design of the maze is cinematic, based on the way Indiana Jones movie or the Maze Runner are designed. The places are fictional but have some truth to the way they are designed. Being in charge of the story line I made sure that the textures I found to use for our walls and the characters are accurate to what most people would expect to find in ancient Egypt (Pharaoh and Jackals vs twinkle fairies that wouldn't fit into the setting).  

My commits of the wall structure (wall.fbx) and labyrinth (maze.fbx)





Then I performed the pull request and  had the objects that we made in the same scene but I enlarged them because they are VERY small compared to my design of the whole structure (the scepter is like a tiny stick compared to the pyramid in itself). The objects are the pile of gold, scepter and the jackal's chest. 












No comments:

Post a Comment